The winner of final yr’s Lecomte Stakes (G3) might have slipped into obscurity as Name Me Midnight misplaced his subsequent eight races in 2022. But the Honest Grounds Race Course prep race for the Kentucky Derby (G1) loved fairly a little bit of high quality with the sector together with future Travers Stakes (G1) winner Epicenter and Cyberknife , who went on to take the Arkansas Derby (G1) and Haskell Stakes (G1).
This yr’s discipline of 3-year-olds additionally has a couple of promising runners among the many discipline of eight that can slug it out over 1 1/16 miles Jan. 21.
1. Echo Once more (6-1 morning-line odds): Set the tempo and completed third whereas handing over a strong effort within the Remington Springboard Mile. Must be on the lead once more and drawing the rail helps his trigger. Figures to be a significant participant.
JOCKEY: Tyler Gaffalione; TRAINER: Steve Asmussen
2. Denington (8-1): Had a large journey whereas ending third within the Smarty Jones Stakes. Will get a greater submit right here and provides blinkers … may take a step ahead on this discipline.
JOCKEY: Corey Lanerie; TRAINER: Ken McPeek
3. Bromley (5-1): Has gained his two begins, however one was on an artificial floor at Turfway Park. He has but to race past 6 1/2 furlongs, so there are questions on his skill to deal with two turns whereas going through stakes firm for the primary time.
JOCKEY: Javier Castellano; TRAINER: Paulo Lobo
Join BloodHorse Every day
4. Confidence Sport (8-1): Appears to be on the upswing with an improved, successful effort at Churchill Downs final day trip. He is already traveled this distance thrice and generally is a issue if he duplicates his final attempt.
JOCKEY: James Graham; TRAINER: Keith Desormeaux
5. Tapit’s Conquest (9-2): Comes off a pointy maiden win and has put in some promising exercises since that Oct. 1 victory at a 1 1/16-mile distance. Comes from a high barn and can’t be ignored, though the time was on the sluggish facet and he’s additionally entered in an allowance race earlier on the cardboard.
JOCKEY: Florent Geroux; TRAINER: Brad Cox
6. Itzos (10-1): Like his stablemate Bromley, he steps into stakes firm after a dash win on an artificial floor at Turfway. He needs to be a part of a full of life tempo and can want an improved effort to determine within the final result.
JOCKEY: Brian J. Hernandez Jr.; TRAINER: Paulo Lobo
7. Instantaneous Espresso (5-2): Appeared the a part of a Kentucky Derby candidate in successful the Kentucky Jockey Membership Stakes (G2) as a heavy favourite. Has the sort of working type to profit from a quick tempo and appears just like the one to beat right here from a barn with a great observe report within the Derby preps and Triple Crown.
JOCKEY: Luis Saez; TRAINER: Brad Cox
8. Two Phil’s (4-1): Comes off a giant win within the grade 3 Avenue Sense Stakes at Churchill, although that was within the slop. He was no issue within the grade 1 Claiborne Breeders’ Futurity at Keeneland however appears to be getting higher and needs to be an element offered the surface submit doesn’t pose an issue.
JOCKEY: Jareth Loveberry; TRAINER: Larry Rivelli
THE PICK: Instantaneous Espresso
LIVE LONGSHOT: Denington
Entries: Lecomte S. (G3)
Honest Grounds Race Course & Slots, Saturday, January 21, 2023, Race 14
- Grade III
- 1 1/16m
- 3 yo
- 6:30 PM (native)